Pages

Friday, August 16, 2013

Why PE is Broken

Once again, my history with sports comes up.  (See Sports)

I grew up believing I was not athletic.  And if I ever wanted to be in shape, it would have to be through doing things I hate.


Turns out, I have a friend who was in the same boat!




Do you know what comes after that?  BLACK.  THAT'S WHAT COMES AFTER THAT.

You know how many kids she has?  THREE.  THAT'S HOW MANY.

And she was like, "Allie!  Come to karate!"  And I flashed back to some terrible memories of being made fun of during physical activities.

 

But I try to try new things.  And I'm not good at saying "no".

It ended up being one instance where it was better than the scenario I imagined!



One week later.


Oh, I know why!  BECAUSE PHYSICAL EDUCATION IS BROKEN.




I know it's important to take care of our bodies.  But it's hard when you feel like you are literally not good at physical activity.

Am I just doing this because I have to to pass this class?  Is that good enough motivation?
Am I just doing this to be skinnier?  Is that an effective reason?"

Nope, that just makes me feel bad about myself.

I will do something because it makes me happy.  Screw everything else.

I did not live 20 years to fixate on a number.
I will not live 100 years just to fixate on a number.